Tuesday, September 13, 2011

In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning

 It's one of my Sinatra favorites (even though I love almost all his songs).  

In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning talks about a man professing his obsession about a woman. It's so romantic for me to hear someone saying that he misses a woman in the brief moments of the dawn--implying that he miss this woman greatly.

Sinatra's deep voice also gives the melodious, soft and dreamy song. It adds element of loneliness and sincerity in the song. The musical accompaniment was also perfect--making the song an excellent choice whenever you want to relax for a while after a stressful day.

The short, simple and repeating lyrics was good for me, because back then it's how songs were written. I love hearing the line:
You lie awake and think about the girl
And never ever think of counting sheep

because I kind of relate to it, and I know many of you do too. :)

This song, which title was also that of its album, was popularized in 1955, by Sinatra himself. The lyrics were written by Bob Hilliard and the music was arranged by David Mann. Since then, the song was covered by many artists, like Barbra Streisand and John Mayer.

However, even though John Mayer nicely did it, I think he kind of made the song too sleepy and made the key go higher a bit, sorry but I just don't like it. Who's good in there with him was Chris Botti and his magical trumpet.

What I am really disturbed yet sort of happy was hearing Barbra's rendition of the song, based on the version of Julie London, that she did for the movie Sleepless in Seattle (yey!). The lyrics were added with a one paragraph stanza in the beginning. It feels like it was off because the tune was really out of the song's keys (I think?) that's why I don't like it. Too bad, the lyrics was great and Barbra's voice was mystifyingly beautiful, too.

Well, no one beats Frankie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment